[Xquartz-dev] env variables and launchd problem

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Tue Mar 22 16:20:00 PDT 2011

My version results are for bzip2 included in a clean install of MacOSX-10.6.7.

I suspect the binary compiled version is actually bzip2-1.0.6 because
clamav-0.97 configures, compiles, and installs cleanly. bzip2-1.0.5 causes a bug
report in the clamav configure.

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 14:14, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> 	Keeping change to a bare minimum is an admirable pursuit. My particular bugbear is the bzip2 libraries and the Apple refusal to remove the broken version numbers from the 'fixed' binary for bzip2. 10.6.7 claims a fix for both bzip2 and clamav in the server but the bzip2 binary still responds with:
>>
>> (8): % bzip2 --version
>> bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor.  Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007.
>>

>> 	How is that for a weird change result?
>
> 10.6.6 had bzip2-21:
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/tarballs/bzip2/bzip2-21.tar.gz
>
> 10.6.7 has a newer version which will be available here once opensource.apple.com releases it:
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1067/
>
> and you can verify the change yourself if you are that concerned.

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"But first we must learn to cast out fear. People who
'view with alarm' never build anything." Eleanor Roosevelt
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068