[Xquartz-dev] env variables and launchd problem

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Wed Mar 23 10:02:55 PDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 7:00 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> IMO this should not be necessary, because up to Leopard ~/.MacOSX/
>>> environment.plist is read when you log in. Then all processes
>>> inherit this environment. The X clients are a bit different and
>>> used to inherit their environment from X11.app ? until recently!
>>
>> Nope.  X11 clients do inherit their environment from X11.app, since
>> that's the process that forks and execs them.  That has not changed.
>
> Yes, right! The problem is that X11.app now does not inherit the set
> environment and passes something not so useful to the X clients. Which
> needs to be corrected. Particularly the manner to set / als current
> working directory. $HOME is correct.

Thank you Peter for being the first on the list to answer my question, after a zillion posts on the topic.

So the problem is not a config issue on my machine, others are seeing it. This helps me enormously.

I am also using  ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist as a work-around, to make sure the right ENV gets passed to X11 when it is launched by launchd. I agree with Jeremy that it is not the best solution, just the only one available now. That file passes its ENV to every launchd process, where I really only need it to be passed to X11.

Dave