[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Mar 24 15:55:13 PDT 2011

Am 24.03.2011 um 21:01 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> If you start X11 by launching an application from Terminal.app (or
> otherwise trigger the launchd mechanism), X11.app won't run the
> initial xterm.

What is "launching an application from Terminal.app" and what is
"otherwise trigger the launchd mechanism"? What is when I use a
*shell* buffer in NS Emacs.app or "AppKit" Emacs.app?

>  If you launch X11 by launching X11.app directly, it will.  This has
> been the case for years now.

How do I launch X11.app directly? Is this by clicking the X11.app icon
in dock? (Doing this has been the case for years now.)

Why do so many different methods of launching an application create so
different results? In the end it's always launchd, similar to a shell
in other UNIX systems, so why should this make a difference? What is
the purpose behind this? Where is this all documented?

--
Greetings

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣