[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Mar 24 22:43:22 PDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.03.2011 um 21:01 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
>> If you start X11 by launching an application from Terminal.app (or otherwise trigger the launchd mechanism), X11.app won't run the initial xterm.
>
> What is "launching an application from Terminal.app" and what is "otherwise trigger the launchd mechanism"? What is when I use a *shell* buffer in NS Emacs.app or "AppKit" Emacs.app?

That would fall under "otherwise trigger the launchd mechanism"

>> If you launch X11 by launching X11.app directly, it will.  This has been the case for years now.
>

> How do I launch X11.app directly? Is this by clicking the X11.app icon in dock? (Doing this has been the case for years now.)

Yes.

> Why do so many different methods of launching an application create so different results?

The only difference here is whether or not to launch that first xterm... that was done for compatibility reasons for people who expect that default xterm when they launch X11.app directly (like it happened on Tiger by default).

> In the end it's always launchd, similar to a shell in other UNIX systems, so why should this make a difference? What is the purpose behind this? Where is this all documented?

There has been plenty of discussion about this in the xquartz-dev and x11-users mailing list ... mostly about 2 years ago... or you can always look through the ChangeLogs in git.