[Xquartz-dev] xquartz problem with ros

John Muccigrosso john at muccigrosso.org
Fri Mar 25 07:12:21 PDT 2011

I play around a bit with ros on my macbook and I just upgraded to the new xquartz yesterday (2.6.1). Previously I was just using Apple's X11.

No problems with most things (not that I run a lot in X): xterm fires up the xquartz version, for example. But running one of my ros binaries (pcd_viewer) gives me this error:

 <Error>: unknown error code: invalid pixel format
Fri Mar 25 09:40:16 client-6-50-27.bc.drew.lan pcd_viewer[1954] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  39

If I launch Apple's X11 and get an xterm there (so it's running from /usr instead of /opt), pcd_viewer will launch fine.

At least one other ros binary doesn't have a problem with xquartz, so I suspect something in pcd_viewer.

echo $DISPLAY from terminal reports:

/tmp/launch-2LgGpc/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

from Apple's X11 it reports

:1

I'm a bit of a newbie, so I thought I'd ask here first whether there's an obvious problem somewhere that is easily resolved.

Thanks.

John