[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.0_beta2

Louis Zulli zullil at lafayette.edu
Tue Sep 27 02:32:02 PDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 3:05 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2011, at 11:20 PM, Louis Zulli wrote:
>

>> On Sep 27, 2011, at 12:25 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> So that looks like you haven't done a:
>>> launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.startx.plist
>>>
>>> Do that, then reboot (logout should be fine, but meh) ... I'm still curious why you're seeing that rather than the MacOSForge one... any ideas?
>>
>> I just reinstalled the beta2. Here's what I see
>>
>> -rw-rw-r--  1 root  admin  654 Sep 24 16:10 org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist
>>
>> Does a Lion security feature prevent launch due to ownership/permissions issue?
>
> No.  Read up on launchd for more info.

From the launchctl man page:

Load the specified configuration files or directories of configuration files.  Jobs that are not on-demand will be started as soon as possible.
All specified jobs will be loaded before any of them are allowed to start.  Note that per-user configuration files (LaunchAgents) must be owned by
the user loading them. All system-wide daemons (LaunchDaemons) must be owned by root. Configuration files must not be group- or world-writable.
These restrictions are in place for security reasons, as allowing writability to a launchd configuration file allows one to specify which exe-
cutable will be launched.

The scope of the bolded sentence is not clear to me, but ...