[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.0_beta2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Sep 27 11:52:17 PDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Louis Zulli wrote:

> Application Specific Information:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
> X.Org X Server 1.11.1 Build Date: 20110924
> objc[387]: garbage collection is OFF
> abort() called

This message makes me think that it couldn't create its socket in /tmp/.X11-unix  ... your ~/Library/Logs/X11-* log probably says something more on point to that.  This is probably because /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist also has incorrect permissions and thus was not started to create that directory with secure permissions.  XQuartz aborts at startup if it is unable to make its socket securely rather than allow a possible man-in-the-middle attack.