[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.5_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 25 19:56:29 PST 2012

On Dec 25, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 24.12.2012 um 02:01 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:
>
>> Or you can just grab the installer here:
>> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/SL/XQuartz-2.7.5_rc1.dmg
>
> On Snow Leopard this version and all its precursors have one handicap: when I use display from ImageMagick it cannot display XPM or PNG images with transparency (transparently. Instead a checker board is used. On Tger, PPC, I can see transparancy… (and maybe also on Leopard, but to check this I need to wait until tomorrow, until the compilations have finished)
>
> Why is the modern version less capable?

Can you give me a more specific example?  Please provide me with the png and the command line you're using to display it with ImageMagick.

The way I'm working around the issue with 15bit visuals in Mountain Lion is to just remove them from the list of supported visuals, so it's possible that other applications are going down different codepaths when there are no 15bit visuals available.