[Xquartz-dev] launchd problem affecting DISPLAY setting

John Hanks john.hanks at usu.edu
Mon Nov 12 08:25:44 PST 2012

Hi,

I have two systems running Mountain Lion, on one (iMac) XQuartz works fine
and as expected. On the other (Macbook Pro) the DISPLAY environment
variable never gets set. After troubleshooting this off and on for a month
or more, I'm here to beg for some help or insight. What I've tried:

 - Reinstalling and/or upgrading XQuartz numerous times
 - using launchctl to load the LaunchAgent and/or LaunchDaemon with and
without -w.

I can start XQuartz manually and it works fine, e.g. I can display a
terminal from it and then ssh to another host and remote display an X app.
But, the OS X terminal doesn't have DISPLAY set and thus I can't ssh to
hosts with working XForwarding or start X apps locally from the OS X
Terminal.

After comparing the two systems, I can't find any obvious difference
between the files or permissions in the install.

On the broken system, I can "launchctl load ..." the LaunchAgent and
LaunchDaemon plist files, but if I log out and log back in they are no
longer loaded. They get loaded automatically on the working system and set
DISPLAY appropriately.

I've tried using a $HOME/.launchd.conf file to load these, but it gets
ignored. When I add them to /etc/launchd.conf the system never completes
booting. I tried this approach out of desperation, note that the working
system has neither of these files present.

If someone can point out to me what I might be doing wrong here I'd greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,

griznog