[Xquartz-dev] launchd problem affecting DISPLAY setting

John Hanks john.hanks at usu.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:06:39 PST 2012

I've tried this several times, but repeating and verifying was worth a try:

wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$ launchctl load -w
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist
wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$ launchctl list | grep quartz
- 0 org.macosforge.xquartz.startx
wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$

[log off and back on]

wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$ launchctl list | grep quartz
wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$ echo $DISPLAY

wlan-clients-1816:~ griznog$

So this smells like a problem with launchd/launchctl, but I can't find any
hooks that allow me to figure out where and as I mentioned before, the
.plist files for XQuartz are identical (as far as I can tell) on both the
broken and working systems.

If this request follows the path of others I've googled up like it, this is
the point after which I get no more responses :/

griznog