[Xquartz-dev] launchd problem affecting DISPLAY setting

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 12 09:55:30 PST 2012

Use 'launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist' to load the agent (and have it loaded later, that's what -w does).

Logout and log back in, and you should have $DISPLAY

You should be able to run 'launchctl getenv DISPLAY' to verify that launchd is providing $DISPLAY.  It's possible that something else (startup script) is unsetting it.