[Xquartz-dev] Pkgconfig included in XQuartz.

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Wed Feb 27 19:47:10 PST 2013

I want ot chime in on this.

XQuartz is intended as a replacement for Apple's X11, and s not meant to be a full development environment. The pkgconfig files included with XQuartz provide completeness for the packages that come with X11. But they would only be used as part of a development environment outside XQuartz.

The /opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig directory that's part of XQuartz (which contains the .pc files) should be added to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable, so that it's found along with other pkgconfig directories when setting up the development environment.

There are a lot of different opinions on what development environment is best on OSX. But the approach of adding /opt/lib/pkgconfig/ to the environment is the same regardless what development environment you use.

MacPorts, Brew, and Posix are all ery different philosophies on setting up a development environment for OSX. Thay all have their merits and drawbacks. Once you select one of these, you are stuck with it forever (or recompile everything), so you should learn about them and make an educated decision. Personally, I would never use MacPorts or Brew, and prefer Posix. But that's my opinion.

Whatever your decision is, it's very important to install pkgconfig FIRST before installing anything else. Gtk can then be built in that development environment.

Hope this helps.
Dave