[Xquartz-dev] I am having problems with 2.7.5_rc3 and _rc4 (rc2 & before were ok)

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 11 16:56:56 PST 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 15:52, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 11.11.2013 um 22:28 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:
>
>> What issues do you have using the launchd socket?
>
> None (I'm not using it). It's awkward. I prefer to have one space filled with X clients and not X clients and X servers spread over all spaces.

Those two items have nothing to do with each other.

> You and Apple seem to believe that X11 is some auxiliary means to temporarily make an X client visible, I feel in the X variant of GNU Emacs more comfortable and natural and supported by its lightning fast reactions. This is my work horse, not the AppKit or the NS variant. And what I particularly like is that I can close the windows clearly as their title bars on the desktop/in the (home) space.

That's perfectly fine, and many people do use X11 fullscreen, but that doesn't explain at all why you're avoiding using the launchd socket and setting DISPLAY manually yourself.

What makes it "awkward" to you?  You shouldn't ever need to think about it.  launchd sets the environment variable for you, and you should never need to bother with it.