[Xquartz-dev] I am having problems with 2.7.5_rc3 and _rc4 (rc2 & before were ok)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 12 13:40:07 PST 2013

Am 12.11.2013 um 22:04 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:

> processes spawned from xinit have the :<display number> value.  All other processes have the path to the socket.
>
> They both refer to the same server though, so I don't see why it matters to you.

Is this documented anywhere? I did not suspect such a context, since I encountered that a new X server was – or could be – launched when I launched an X client from a non-X11 application. Since I found a work-around I never was interested in the reason of this awkward behaviour.

Well, I just did in the AppKit Emacs:

	pete 103 /\ xfontsel &
	[1] 9883

and, out of curiosity, then invoked:

	pete 104 /\ pstree -w -p 9883
	-+= 00001 root /sbin/launchd
	 \-+= 00215 pete /sbin/launchd
	   \-+= 08612 pete /Applications/EmacsKit-24.3-32w-mac-4.4/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -psn_0_266305
	     \-+= 08623 pete -bin/tcsh -i
	       \--= 09883 pete xfontsel

because nothing happened. Now I have in a second space XQuartz running (with all clients and decorations) and in my HOME space X11 (from MacPorts). (And I remove 270 TMP files from ~/.cache/fontconfig.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they are different.