[Xquartz-dev] I am having problems with 2.7.5_rc3 and _rc4 (rc2 & before were ok)

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Nov 12 13:57:06 PST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 13:40, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 12.11.2013 um 22:04 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:
>
>> processes spawned from xinit have the :<display number> value.  All other processes have the path to the socket.
>>
>> They both refer to the same server though, so I don't see why it matters to you.
>
> Is this documented anywhere? I did not suspect such a context, since I encountered that a new X server was – or could be – launched when I launched an X client from a non-X11 application.

If you have multiple X11 servers installed on your system, then whichever one is the default one will be used by default.  If you're running the other one, then the default one will launch.

> Since I found a work-around I never was interested in the reason of this awkward behaviour.
>
> Well, I just did in the AppKit Emacs:
>
> 	pete 103 /\ xfontsel &
> 	[1] 9883
>
> and, out of curiosity, then invoked:
>
> 	pete 104 /\ pstree -w -p 9883
> 	-+= 00001 root /sbin/launchd
> 	 \-+= 00215 pete /sbin/launchd
> 	   \-+= 08612 pete /Applications/EmacsKit-24.3-32w-mac-4.4/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -psn_0_266305
> 	     \-+= 08623 pete -bin/tcsh -i
> 	       \--= 09883 pete xfontsel
>
> because nothing happened. Now I have in a second space XQuartz running (with all clients and decorations) and in my HOME space X11 (from MacPorts). (And I remove 270 TMP files from ~/.cache/fontconfig.)

That is because your "second space XQuartz" is the default X11 server and your "HOME space X11 (from MacPorts)" isn't.

To make MacPorts X11 your default, you need to:

launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist

then relog.  This is documented in the xinit port.