[Xquartz-dev] libpng in XQuartz 2.7.10 beta

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue May 31 15:48:41 PDT 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 12:54, David Ray <apple at jonive.com> wrote:
>
> For a few years I’ve been linking to the PNG libraries in XQuartz when I build PHP. This is because I’m trying to minimize the number of PNG library instances on my system, Apple doesn’t include development lbraries, and I always have XQuartz. I understand this is a “nice to have” feature but never a requirement for XQuartz.
>
> Just wanted to give a heads-up that the PNG development libraries in XQuartz appear to have changed recently and I cannot point to /opt/X11 for PNG development libraries anymore when building PHP. They are failing somehow. I can make a separate PNG installation in /usr/local and point to that when building PHP.

Can you elaborate?

FWIW, we recently started including libpng-1.6, so I suspect maybe your code isn't compatible with changes in 1.6 ... ?

We continue to ship the older binaries (1.2.x, 1.4.x, 1.5.x) for binary compatibility with anyone (like you) that is linking against them.

> So just checking if the beta versions have a known issue with development libraries for PNG. Again, I understand this is not a requirement for XQuartz, just a convenient feature I would like to keep if possible.

No known issue.  You're the first to report anything hinky with them.