[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.8.0_rc4 regressions found

Nicholas Papadonis nick.papadonis.ml at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 07:42:01 PDT 2021

Comments follow

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 5:13 PM Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <
jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 21, 2021, at 09:27, Nicholas Papadonis <
> nick.papadonis.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Mac OS v10.15.6 with a 12" system and found the following
> regressions in v2.8.0_rc4 from v2.7.11:
> >
> > 1. XQuartz does not switch to the foreground when launched.  I have to
> go to the dock and click to bring it to the foreground.
>
> Seems to work for me.
>
> > 2. I'm unable to launch X windows apps from a 'ssh -X host' session,
> i.e. 'ssh -X host xclock' cannot create an X connection.  Launching an X
> app from XQuartz using the drop down app option Terminal does work.  I have
> .ssh/config = "XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth; ForwardX11Trusted yes".
>
> Again, works  for me.
>
> > 3. I use Edwin (scheme -edit) which is like Emacs.  My Edwin keybindings
> for Meta-W (copy) no longer work.  So I think something in the keymap
> changed.
>
> The keymap should be the same.
>
> Can you debug these issues and file tickets with any additional data you
> have?

What data can I provide and how is it gathered?  For the keymaps do
you know the best way to compare?  It seems the path is OSX -> X-Windows ->
Linux -> Emacs.

> > I'm also confused why XQuartz 2.7.11 asked me to install a newer version
> (available), however this new version is still in Beta.
>
> That was because 2.7.11 unfortunately subscribed to the beta feed.  That
> being said, I just released 2.8.0 last night, so you should try with that.

I will perform some comparisons again, but want to make sure I'm gathering
the right data.  Are you using a small screen size?  I ask because I had
prior occasions where it's geometry caused bugs that the developers missed
on big screens.

Thanks