[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.8.0_rc4 regressions found

Nicholas Papadonis nick.papadonis.ml at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:27:57 PDT 2021

I'm using Mac OS v10.15.6 with a 12" system and found the following
regressions in v2.8.0_rc4 from v2.7.11:

1. XQuartz does not switch to the foreground when launched.  I have to go
to the dock and click to bring it to the foreground.

2. I'm unable to launch X windows apps from a 'ssh -X host' session, i.e.
'ssh -X host xclock' cannot create an X connection.  Launching an X app
from XQuartz using the drop down app option Terminal does work.  I have
.ssh/config = "XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth; ForwardX11Trusted yes".

3. I use Edwin (scheme -edit) which is like Emacs.  My Edwin keybindings
for Meta-W (copy) no longer work.  So I think something in the keymap
changed.

I'm also confused why XQuartz 2.7.11 asked me to install a newer version
(available), however this new version is still in Beta.

Hope this helps!