[CalendarServer-users] Mac OS X Server

Don Kruse don at stahancyk.com
Mon Dec 8 09:31:49 PST 2008

I ran iCal Server + iCal in a test environment on a older Xserve--Dual
G4 1GHz 2GB RAM Mac OS X Server 10.5.5--in this test environment with
only a couple of test users and I noticed a significant increase in
CPU activity due to iCal but it seemed that it wasn't something the
server couldn't handle. A month later when I rolled out the service to
60+ users the server was brought to its knees. It ramped up to 100%
CPU usage as more users logged in and by about 11AM that business day
it ceased to be functional. Anyone trying to connect timed out before
they received updates.

I have not been able to track down any specifics as far as something I
can "fix" to prevent this problem as my iCal Server install is Apple
default and other than running the CPU load at 100% there was not a
single error reported/logged. I'm going to use brute force to work
around the issue but I would like to find a better approach.

I am going to try to roll out this service again later today/tomorrow
but hosted on a brand new Xserve 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 16GB RAM
(I'm lucky in that I work for a bunch of lawyers).

I'll let you know what I find out and/or what happens.

On Dec 6, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Louis ROMERO wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I have a 10.5.5 Mac OS X Server and the iCal Server is on. I have a
> problem, that happend twice, so I guess there is something.
>
> 	On time, the CPU was at 100%, taken by the User, but I couldn't see
> what was wrong in Activity Monitor or top, because the step of
> measures was to large : I found that there were several small Python
> processes that were launched and stopped constantly !
>
> I tried to know where they came from. I stopped services one after
> another, and found out it was iCal : 10% CPU after that.
>
> Today, I had the same problem.
>
> The only thing I did today with iCal Servr was augmenting a LDAP
> record in the OpenDirectory. I just chose the calendar to be synced
> with.
>
> Where dos this come from ?
>
> Thanks,
> --