[CalendarServer-users] Calander Server - Groups in accounts.xml

Kevin_S kevin.starling at exalead.com
Thu Feb 7 02:57:46 PST 2008

Hi foks - any experience of configuring group calendars would be greatly
appreciated.  A long first post, but hopefully it makes sense.

I am a new CalDAV user on Ubuntu 7.10 linux. I have successfully set up the
server, and can create users by editing accounts.xml.  We are using iCAL on
a MAC as the client, and have to set the preferences area to see the
calendars on the server - e.g., caldav://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008.  This all works
fine, but I do not know how to subscribe to them - or indeed if this is
possible.

So, I guess what I need to do next is to set up some kind of group for all
of the users to either subscribe to, or add as a preference/account in the
iCAL client.  The instructions I have found on forums on the web do not
explain clearly how this should be configured - but I have had a go - with
no luck!

Ok, detail - here's what I have in my accounts.xml - well the relevant bits
(it's based on the shipped version with nothing deleted).

<accounts realm="Test Realm">
  <user>
    <uid>admin</uid>
    <guid>admin</guid>
    <password>admin</password>
    <name>Super User</name>
  </user>
  <user>
    <uid>kevin</uid>
    <guid>kevin</guid>
    <password>password</password>
    <name>Skivvy</name>
  </user>
  <user>
    <uid>raymond</uid>
    <guid>raymond</guid>
    <password>password</password>
    <name>Boss</name>
  </user>
.... lot of other stuff (in default) that I have not put in....
 <resource>
    <uid>resourcestaff</uid>
    <guid>resourcestaff</guid>
    <password>password</password>
    <name>Resource Staff</name>
    <auto-schedule/>
    <proxies>
      <member type="groups">allstaff</member>
    </proxies>
  </resource>
  <group>
    <uid>allstaff</uid>
    <guid>allstaff</guid>
    <password>password</password>
    <name>All Staff</name>
    <members>
      <uid>kevin</uid>
      <uid>raymond</uid>
    </members>
  </group>

The net result is that as mentioned earlier, I can set a preference/account
for a user to my iCAL client, as can the others.  The issue is that each
user must know the other users' calendar server passwords in order to
configure the preference/account in iCAL - and then they have full r/w/d
access.  Ideally, they should just have read access and the capablity to
invite - lke a .MAC account.  So, teh config above arose from the thought
that a solution would be to set up a group, then I would only have to
provide that group-id and password in order to set a preference/account in
iCAL, which would show all calendars in the group - with goodness knows what
access... but that's for later!!!  With the above configuration, if I try to
add an account, I get an error on the client like:

Calendar caldav://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/users/allstaff/ could not be
found.

This is fair as I have not defined a user account in the accounts.xml - just
a group.  So, after looking at some other posts in this area, I was prompted
to set up a resource and group in accounts.xml as above, and supposedly
should be able to add a delegation in iCAL... but can't as I cannot see the
resources listed.  So I try to set up a delegation for a user by adding
caldav://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/resources/resourcestaff/, and that
fails:

Cannot enable access to your account.
"caldav://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/resources/resourcestaff/" was not
found.  The same goes when configuring a group

I can access this resource via the browser
(http://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/resources/resourcestaff/) and see a
directory listing and all sorts of other stuff - e.g:
Directory Information
---------------------
Directory GUID: 86587b41-d080-5df3-8135-41b482cf220e
Realm: Test Realm

Principal Information
---------------------
GUID: resourcestaff
Record type: resources
Short name: resourcestaff
Full name: Resource Staff
Principal UID: resourcestaff
Principal URL: /principals/__uids__/resourcestaff/

Alternate URIs:
 -> /principals/resources/resourcestaff/

Group members:
 '()

Group memberships:
 '()

Calendar homes:
 -> /calendars/resources/resourcestaff

Calendar user addresses:
 -> /principals/__uids__/resourcestaff/
 -> urn:uuid:resourcestaff

Looking at the group
(http://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/group/allstaff/):
Directory Information
---------------------
Directory GUID: 86587b41-d080-5df3-8135-41b482cf220e
Realm: Test Realm

Principal Information
---------------------
GUID: allstaff
Record type: groups
Short name: allstaff
Full name: All Staff
Principal UID: allstaff
Principal URL: /principals/__uids__/allstaff/

Alternate URIs:
 -> /principals/groups/allstaff/

Group members:
 '()

Group memberships:
 -> (resources) resourcestaff [calendar-proxy-write]

Calendar homes:
 -> /calendars/groups/allstaff

Calendar user addresses:

and one of the users http://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:8008/principals/users/raymond/  :

Directory Information
---------------------
Directory GUID: 86587b41-d080-5df3-8135-41b482cf220e
Realm: Test Realm

Principal Information
---------------------
GUID: raymond
Record type: users
Short name: raymond
Full name: Super User
Principal UID: raymond
Principal URL: /principals/__uids__/raymond/

Alternate URIs:
 -> /principals/users/raymond/

Group members:
 '()

Group memberships:
 '()

Calendar homes:
 -> /calendars/users/raymond

Calendar user addresses:

So, I am a little confused on how to configure this - the groups definition
does not seem to hang together by what is listed from looking at the
principals areas via the browser.

So, just to refresh the objective here, ideally I would like the users to
subscribe to calendar server calendars - a bit like like .MAC by providing a
url to the calendar server.  If that is not possible, I would like to define
a group that will provide a single uid and password, which when added as a
preference/account to an iCAL client, will provide access to a whole bunch
of calendars from the calendar server.

So, if anyone has done this before, some advice on the config sections in
accounts.xml and any other areas I may need to address would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers!

Kevin.