[CalendarServer-users] calendarserver behaves extreme slow, what is going on

Guy guy at britewhite.net
Sun Oct 11 06:04:52 PDT 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 13:30, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> Guy wrote:
>> What clients are you using to connect?I'm using Darwin calendar
>> via   iPhone and iCal on mac and it's very fast.
>
> The server side is a Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) dedicated server
> running calendarserver_1.2.dfsg-8_all.deb.

Yeah I ran that version too for a short time, but realised that it's
not currently being maintained.  The build is over 1 year old.

> The client machines are Debian Stable, testing and unstable, Ubuntu,
> and
> Windows machines all using thunderbird or icedove with the lighting
> plugin or the standalone sunbird or iceowl application.
>
> These same applications are very fast with the zimbra caldav server,
> and
> I know that gnome evolution is also slow with my calendarserver setup.
>
> I am not really a supporter of using custom compiled software on a
> server, because of the maintenance and security considerations.

Although I usually agree with you on this point, because Darwin
calendar is in suck flux and the Debian build doesn't seem to have
been maintained for sometime (nearly a year) I think you might be
coming up against an issue which has long since been fixed in trunk.

I've written some very simple instructions which document how to
install Darwin from source in Centos here: http://www.rho.cc/index.php/linux2/48-misc/48-installing-darwin-calendar-server-on-centos-5

Cheers,
--Guy