[darwinbuild] First use of darwinbuild

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Thu Jul 28 17:17:59 PDT 2005

As you've noticed, DarwinBuild appears to be missing the Kerberos's
dependency information.

Kerberos is a bit of a pathological case, since it requires Xcode to
build, and it requires API that is not available on a pure-Darwin
system.

Luckily I think the dependency and API issues can be worked around by
passing -nochroot to the darwinbuild command.  This instructs
DarwinBuild to build "out in the open" and gives it access to things
that Kerberos will need, like the CoreServices framework.  However,
it appears the Kerberos relies on some PrivateHeaders from the
Security framework, so to take this approach you'd need to install
them on your base system.  They're available at <http://
darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Headers/8C46/Security.hdrs.tar.gz>.

There's a second issue, which is that DarwinBuild tries to produce
universal binaries by default.  You'll need to update to the latest
DarwinBuild in CVS to get a bug fix related to editing build
information.  I also had to make a change to the default 8B15.plist,
so you'll need to reload that.

After upgrading darwinbuild, from your build directory:
# rm .build/8B15.plist
# darwinbuild -init 8C46
# darwinxref -b 8A428 edit

Change the RC_ARCHS="ppc i386"; line in the environment dictionary to:
RC_ARCHS="ppc";

Then you should be able to build Kerberos!

Thanks,

- Kevin