[darwinbuild] how to build the Security project?

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Wed Nov 16 14:13:21 PST 2005

On Nov 16, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Ben Zhu wrote:

> 1. I have checked my system. The productVersion is 10.4.3 and
> BuildVersion is 8F46. I just checked the website
> http://release.opendarwin.org/release/8.3.1/Sources. There is no
> such a
> patch.
>
> I just ran:
> # darwinbuild -inti 8F46
> # darwinbuild Security
>
> The Security-24844.tar.gz file was used and the build was failed.
>
> So is there a patch I need for 8F46?

I believe old 8.2.1 patch continues to apply to the new Security
project.  You can simply use the old patch.

> 2. For the command # ditto Roots/Security/Security-222.root~1 /
>  Which dirs will be affected?

All of the dirs found in the Root will be copied to the base system,
i.e.:

$ find Roots/Security/Security-222.root~1 -type d

> 3. "Keep in mind that the open source Security framework is slightly
> different from the Mac OS X one."
>
> Can you give me a little more details what is the difference?

As you can see in the patch, the Mac OS X version of the security
framework includes the security_comcryption and security_cryptkit sub-
frameworks.  You could use diff(1) on the output of nm(1) on the
system's Security framework, and the Security framework which you
build to see which symbols are not available in the open source version.

I do not know which applications (if any) use these symbols.  It's
possible they're only used internally by Apple and won't affect your
system.

> 4. "If you haven't modified the framework itself and are only
> trying to
>
> install the private headers, then you might want to consider removing
> the framework's dylib from the Roots directory before installing on
> the base system."
>
> I am not clear if I can use my success 8A428 build in my 10.4.3 OS X?

It would be better to do a build with 8F46 if you want to use it on
10.4.3.  New features were added in the 8F46 version, for example
iChat encryption, which would be disabled if you were to use the
older 8A428 version.

> Do I need to back up the framework first?

Always.  =)

- Kevin