[darwinbuild] proposed binary_sites change

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Thu Sep 1 17:32:26 PDT 2005

On Aug 31, 2005, at 4:43 PM, Kevin Van Vechten wrote:

> Instead, I'd like to make the binary_sites URLs explicit for each
> build:
> 8C46.plist:
>         binary_sites = (
>                 "http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Roots/8C46/",
>         );

I made this change for 8C46.plist, 8B15.plist, 8A428.plist, and
7W98.plist.

> The `darwinxref binary_sites` command would only print binary_sites
> URLs when the project being requested is actually present in that
> plist's projects dictionary.  If URLs are printed, darwinbuild will
> attempt to download the root from that site.  Otherwise, it will re-
> run the darwinxref command looking for the binary_sites property in
> the inherited plist.

After discussion with Shantonu on IRC, I've committed some changes
which differ from the above description.  `darwinxref binary_sites`
continues to use the standard "look in the project, then in the
build" approach.  If there is an HTTP error on all of the URLs
provided, then darwinbuild will request the binary_sites of the
inherited build, and so on.

> After this change is made, we can maintain compatibility with older
> darwinbuilds by adding server-side symlinks like "8C46 -> ."

I have already made these compatibility symlinks.

- Kevin