[darwinbuild-dev] Building Darwin 9 on a PowerBook G4 for a i386 PC

Stuart Crook stuart at echus.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 12:45:36 PDT 2008

Hi, Rolf. I'm trying to do something similar and as far as I can see
there isn't any particular "right" list to subscribe to. I'm also
beginning to wonder whether it's actually possible to get a complete
Darwin (separate from OS X) system ... but anyway.

Firstly, there are still images of Darwin 8.0.1 for x86 (equivalent to
the underpinnings of 10.4) available here: http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/gnu-darwin/
  (yes, it's over three years old). You might like to give that a try:
it boots and installs without any extra work, and proves that at least
it can be done.

If you want to continue trying to build 9.4 for yourself, you can do
worse than read this: http://tgwbd.org/darwin/ which explains some of
the issues and how the Author's already solved some of them. You'll
also need a working boot loader, the source code for which you can get
from the same site.

As I see it, there are two main issues: firstly, Darwin is an entire
operating system, which means there's quite a lot of components to
build, which is a pain since no-one's producing pre-build CDs any
more. Secondly, what source is available has issues. But I guess the
more people who take an interest, the quicker these should get spotted
and fixed.

I hope some of this is of a little help.

Stuart Crook