[libdispatch-dev] Lion branch porting status

Daniel A. Steffen dsteffen at apple.com
Mon Aug 29 19:07:54 PDT 2011

Hi Mark,

On Aug 29, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Mark Heily wrote:

> Just a quick update on the work I've been doing with the Lion branch:
>
> As of r30, all of the unit tests compile under Linux. There's a problem with the test harness that prevents 'make check' from running, but I've tried several of the tests individually and they appear to work.

the harness is mostly just posix_spawn with START_SUSPENDED followed by SIGCONT, along with a dispatch proc and timer source to watch for testcase exit/timeout. You can probably skip the START_SUSPENDED/SIGCONT if that is what is causing trouble, the proc source nowadays correctly handles processes that have exited before it gets setup (in that it assumes a non-existent pid means the process has exited).

> Most of the patches are very rough, specific to Linux only, and not ready for submission. I'll polish them up over the next few weeks and start sending them to the list.

awesome, I'll try to stay on top of integrating patches into the repo as they come in on the list this time around... ;-)

> I've created a compat/ directory and included a private copy of libbsd, libkqueue, libpthread_workqueue, and libMachShims. I wrote libMachShims based on some earlier work porting launchd to Linux. It provides a subset of the Mach headers and emulates some functions like mach_absolute_time(). This avoids the need to sprinkle #ifdefs all around the Mach-specific sections of code.

nice! not sure we want to import all those libraries into the macosforge repo though, can we provide instructions/scripts to download them automatically from a canonical location ? (similarly to the macosx build dependencies on Libc/xnu sources)

Daniel