Restructuring Python ports?

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Thu Jan 1 23:48:29 PST 2009

Akira Kitada <akitada at ...> writes:

> So it's going to remain the same: all-in-one python26 port and other
> sliced python ports.
> No intentional breakages are introduced.

For what it's worth, I was a proponent of getting rid of
disabled_module_list in python26 (http://trac.macports.org/changeset/42841).
Most importantly, disabled_module_list precludes an exact replication of
a full install (http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12369).
It also makes maintenance easier.

Having python ports be "dependency heavy" does not strike me as
overly burdensome.
Python does a lot of useful things, and it seems right and good that
it require many dependencies to help it achieve its goals.

> Bryan declined this by saying "for 3.0 i'll definitely contact mww;
> but for 2.4/2.5 i'm not sure of the breakage that will happen".

A few days ago, I proposed getting rid of disabled_module_list in python30
(http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17796).

-Marcus