use macports clang 3.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 10 11:36:17 PST 2011

On Dec 10, 2011, at 12:14, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm experimenting with build the root port with macports clang.
>
> Looking at
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler
>
> I thought I could just set configure.compiler to macports-clang-3.1, analogously to how I use macports gcc compilers, but this fails to configure. I get
>
> :notice:configure --->  Configuring root
> :error:configure Target org.macports.configure returned: Invalid value for configure.compiler
> :debug:configure Backtrace: Invalid value for configure.compiler
>    while executing
> "[ditem_key $ditem prerun] $targetname"
> :info:configure Warning: the following items did not execute (for root): org.macports.configure
>
> what am I doing wrong ?

The MacPorts clang-2.9, -3.0 and -3.1 ports are very new, newer than MacPorts 2.0.3, so MacPorts 2.0.3 does not contain these values for configure.compiler. These values were only added to MacPorts trunk in r86719 on November 1; you can build MacPorts from trunk if you want to try these values. Or you can manually set configure.cc and related variables to the corresponding values in your Portfile.

Note that clang and llvm 3.0 were just released in stable version December 1, and those MacPorts ports have not yet been updated to that version. 3.1 is likely to be very unstable at this point.