[MacRuby-devel] How to use Accessibility API?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Fri Apr 3 11:27:01 PDT 2009

Hi Benjamin.

On Apr 2, 2009, at 5:08 AM, Benjamin Mollenhauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i tried unsuccessfuly to use functions like
> "AXUIElementCopyAttributeValue" from the Accessibility API.
>
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/‍
>> Frameworks/HIServices.framework/
>
> If I include "framework 'ApplicationServices' it seems, that I have
> no access to these functions.
> I read http://www.macruby.org/trac/wiki/MacRubyTutorial and stumbeld
> upon Accessing Static APIs and some thing called
> gen_bridge_metadata. My efforts with this tool resulted in some
> compiler errors.
> Third option would be to make some Obj-C wrapper.
>
> Which is the right way to go?

As you could notice this API has not been covered by BridgeSupport
yet, and gen_bridge_metadata is still suffering from bugs too (we plan
to provide a better implementation of this tool in the future).

In the meantime I think the best way would be to wrap the necessary
calls in an ObjC wrapper, as you suggested.

Good luck,