[MacRuby-devel] Looking for feedback on a draft blog post: Optimising Table Views With MacRuby

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Jan 10 17:56:09 PST 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Chuck Remes wrote:

> I don't think I would title the post as you have. You are optimizing a little bit by moving to an asynchronous picture load, but that isn't necessarily a common event for table views. Maybe call it "Asynchronous Table View Loading With MacRuby." That pretty much gets to the heart of it.

Well, I liked the write-up but found it a little on the short side (though maybe that's expected due to it not being finished yet).  I think a broader topic, and one which the current content represents an excellent example of, might be "Async programming in MacRuby".  With that as one's topic, a fair more interesting arc is suggested where, say, one or two really simply examples are first given, just to get the reader's head pointed in the right direction for async programming, then a more complex example (say, loading a Table View!), then even more complex examples using GCD to schedule some truly arbitrary amount of work, complete with async completion block(s).  Now the article isn't "just about how to populate a table", it's more of an intro to async programming on MacRuby, for which there is also currently a serious dearth of tutorial/expository documentation!  (*wink*).

- Jordan