[MacRuby-devel] New to MacRuby and Cocoa

Mario Steele mario at ruby-im.net
Sun Sep 26 00:08:48 PDT 2010

Hello Matt,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Matt Aimonetti <mattaimonetti at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mario,
>
> Welcome! I am sure that the sponsor of this mailing list and project
> (Apple) would love to hear that MacRuby pushed you to give up your
> Hackintosh for an official Apple machine ;)

I want a full Apple system, but for now, I do with what I got.

> More seriously, after installing MacRuby, you will find a list of samples
> and examples in $ /Developer/Examples/Ruby/MacRuby/  There is a rtf there
> that explains what each example does and the various libraries covered.
>
> You will also find some examples on GitHub and I tried to cover the main
> Cocoa elements in my book that you can read online (draft)
> http://macruby.labs.oreilly.com/  (we also have some tutorials and recipes
> on the website: http://macruby.org )
>
> You don't have to search for MacRuby specific documentation, any Cocoa
> documentation will do, you just need to change the syntax. Apple's developer
> website has a lot of content you can easily read.
>
> I believe there was also an effort to convert Aaron Hillegass's book
> examples to MacRuby.
>
> - Matt

I've looked at the Examples, the Tutorials, and your upcoming book on the
subjects, and I'm still new to Objective C, and such, so translating from
API docs, to Ruby, is still a rough area for me.  The closest I've come, is
the yaml_table example, but there's a bunch of routines in there, that mix
up with what I'm trying to go after, to make what I need happen in my
application.  I've done well so far, but am now stuck at this point.  As I
stated in my first email, NSOutlineView and NSTableView are the two classes
that I want to learn more about, in figuring out how to work with them.
 Basically, I will have a Programatic design for the NSOutlineView, that
represents the Users Local Library, and Playlists, with a ShoutCAST/IceCast
Radio streams directory listing.  While I have 3 NSTableView's for Albums,
Artists, and song listings that I need to work with, based upon using a
database schema.

As I have said, I've gotten this far, just got a bit more go to. lol

Thanks for any and all help,

Mario

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Mario Steele <mario at ruby-im.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> First, let me introduce myself.  I'm Mario Steele, I've been programming
>> with Ruby for about 3 or 4 years now, mostly dealing with Ruby 1.8, and
>> wxRuby (Also a maintainer there), and have recently decided to give MacRuby
>> a try, since I've been using my Hackintosh setup more often.  I'm not a new
>> comer to Ruby, or GUI programming by far, but what I would like to know, is
>> that if there are any Demos out there, dealing with various Controls
>> provided by the Cocoa library, such as NSOutlineView, and NSTableView.
>>  Something that isn't written into the base code of the app, where all
>> delegation methods for the window, and the application is inserted next to
>> the stuff for the OutlineView and TableView stuff.
>>
>> I'm in the process of writting an iTunes replacement, based on similar
>> setup, and design to Rhythmbox, and have gone out of my way, to get to the
>> point where I am at now, but it would help my understanding more of the
>> controls, if I see some code that strictly works with these controls,
>> instead of code intermixed with other code for the App and Window controls.
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> --
>> Mario Steele

Mario Steele