[SmartcardServices-Dev] SmartCardServices in OSX 10.8

Frank Marien frank at apsu.be
Thu Aug 15 02:15:39 PDT 2013

On 08/14/13 20:02, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> 2013/8/13 Frank Marien <frank at apsu.be>:
>> On 08/13/13 22:34, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>> If there were a MacPorts package that also provided updated versions of all the pieces from opensc-project + smartcard sniffer + pam_krb5, I would be very interested.
>> This, I don't know. What I wanted to find out was how hard it would be
>> to build a functional pcsclite daemon/client libs and CCID libs from
>> source on OSX, today.
>>
>> The conclusion was: with just a few tools considered basic on e.g.
>> GNU/Linux and one lib from macports: very easy indeed.
>>
>> I basically recall that I needed automake/autoconf (probably ok from the
>> XCode command-line tools, not sure, I had a bunch of ports already
>> installed), and libusb..So that's easy..
>>
>> I suspected as much but since Ludovic has just confirmed this in a
>> well as the other platforms, for internal reasons, but nevertheless:
>> that work is already done.
> The pcsc-lite I maintain is far from the pcsc-lite Apple forked some years ago.
> They are not equivalent.
>
> The "official" pcsc-lite do not support securityd, do not support both
> 32 and 64-bits drivers, do not support Roseta, etc.
> I do NOT recommand (or even suggest) to use the official pcsc-lite on Mac OS X.
>
> As I wrote in my previous email a lot of work is needed to merge the 2 versions.
Sure, they are not equivalent: consider me duly warned, but as far as
I'm concerned, these days, if I have pcscd running with just the CCID
driver, and just on 64-bit systems I consider that "fully functional" as
far as OSX is concerned. If Apple doesn't make a statement or take
action, I think that this is more than enough work on our sides to keep
supporting their platform, creating working solutions on recent
installations with standards-compliant readers, even without the
niceties, compliance to their standards, backwards-compatiblity, etc..

I can't tell my customer's service desk to tell the user that it's tough
luck that their new card reader isn't even recognized but we do support
older systems, older card readers, and we're fully compliant with
whatever Apple came up with (or abandoned) this week..

-f