[SmartcardServices-Dev] Effort to rebuild smartcard services on Mac from ground up

Frank Mariën frank at apsu.be
Wed Apr 22 13:48:28 PDT 2015

Hello Chris,

Chris Inacio schreef op 22/04/15 om 21:2359:
> I can't respond to Dr. Rousseau directly for list subscription
> reasons, so sorry about screwing up the thread a bit.
>
> I would be impressed if "gpg2 --card-status" didn't just hang.  I
> understand that GPG has its own card server program and wants
> exclusive access to the Yubikey.  GPG2 works on RARE occasion and I
> can't figure out the why's and when's even though I've tried.
>
> But from reading various looks at Apple's current smartcard service,
> it seems like it doesn't get a lot of love.  I assume that Apple
> hasn't really dedicated a significant number of engineers to this.
> And from reading your blog, Dr. Rousseau, it doesn't feel like you
> believe in Apple's roadmap, at least from the parts that are visible.

 From my POV of some years in a SmartCardServices-dependent project (on
OSX, at least, we support 2 other platforms), I can tell you that Apple
effectively doesn't care one damn bit. After our years-long attempts at
getting the slightest bit of information about the largely invisible
roadmap, we got.. zero response.. Even mentioning the 11 million
potential users didn't get their attention.. My impression: Apple, being
a US company, needs to appear "patriotic" and "supporting the troops"
etc.. so they cannot help but support CAC cards, but otherwise, if you
have a business model based on anything smart-card related involving
Apple Inc.. RUN LIKE HELL!

-f