[SmartcardServices-Dev] Effort to rebuild smartcard services on Mac from ground up

Frank Marien frank at apsu.be
Sun Apr 26 22:31:07 PDT 2015

Sorry Shawn, nothing personal, but that's what it looks like from our
perspective:

- What road map? We're not going to go to a WWDC just to get two simple
answers (we don't have the time, the staff, and Apple is just one
platform we need to support).

- They are really simple questions, but noone wants to commit to an answer.

 > So unfortunate that you feel the need to slander that which you do
not know.
And how can we 'know' what noone will tell us about?

Since you obviously *do* care, please feel free to show it and answer
our year-long questions:

(Frederik [in Bcc:], please correct/add, here's our chance)

We need to keep supporting Middleware (pkcs#11 module for Firefox and
others, whatever-is-required for Safari) for the Belgian eID ; All the
frameworks we used to build have now been *deprecated* by Apple. We now
have no idea:

- Whether Apple will not suddenly drop support entirely and we'll only
find out from an OSX pre-release.

- How future versions of Key Chain/Safari will handle Smart Cards

- Whether Apple *will* still support Smart Cards on a system level or
whether we'll have to "ship-our-own" support for that (we've tried
before to create tenable builds for SmartCardServices, ourselves, and it
looks like others are trying that road, as well - see Chris)

- Whether to contact folks like Centrify and Thursby because Apple will
outsource all Smart Card support to them?

- Whether Apple will suddenly produce a brand new Smart Card framework
that we have to scramble to support?

WHAT do we need to do to keep supporting our national ID card on OSX,
now and for the "road map"pable future? (scope: at least the next year,
every year)

Eagerly awaiting Frederik's additions and your enlightening revelations.

WKR,
Frank.