[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.2.0_rc3 (includes spaces fix)

William Mortensen william5 at u.washington.edu
Fri Apr 11 01:23:16 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:24 AM, Jamie Kennea wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2008, at 8:05 am, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>
>> What I am driving at is that there may be some other factor at
>> play on your system tickling the bug more often, and the underlying
>> reason might have nothing to do with X11. Perhaps.
>
> If it was just one system I see this on I'd agree with you, but I've
> just verified this behaviour on a 4th unrelated system, and its 100%
> repeatable every time, I've even tried creating a new user on the
> machine to have a clean slate, and the problem still exists.
>
> I can't reproduce the problem using other non-X11 apps (e.g.
> Terminal.app).
>
> At this point I'm completely lost as to what I'm doing differently
> from everyone else. I'll describe the steps to reproduce the issue:
>
> Start X11 (I clicked on the X11 icon).
> Open an xterm in space 1
> Move to space 2
> open an xterm in the same location as on space 1
> move to space 1
> click on xterm - Spaces automatically moves back to space 2
> move to space 1
> click on xterm  - xterm focuses
>
> Can nobody else reproduce this?

Okay, I am seeing this, though it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I'm
messing with it right now and it's only about 1 in 4 space switches,
although before I quit and relaunched X11 a minute ago it seemed like
2 in 3. The key seems to be the fact that, when X11 is active and you
switch spaces, focus always remains with the previously focused
window, rather than moving to the frontmost X11 window in the new
space. When the unwanted switch to the previous space happens, the
unfocused X11 window in the current space moves behind the non-X11
windows in that space before the switch happens.

This seems to happen regardless of how I get the second xterm in space
2. One way is the way you said: switch to space 2 (which switched me
to a different active application since X11 didn't have any windows in
that space), then make X11 active (which did not switch me back to
space 1), and hit cmd-N to create a new xterm. The other is to create
two xterms in space 1 and then move one of them to space 2 by hitting
F8 and dragging it over.

This probably isn't much help to Jeremy for debugging, but I'm happy
to provide more info if necessary.

Also, the fact that X11 once again doesn't bring all of its windows to
the front on cmd-tab or making it active in the Dock is really
annoying. :-)

Will