[Xquartz-dev] quartz-wm zoom button

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 08:28:30 PST 2008

I've just installed it [quartz-wm-20081203], and the
maximise button does more or less sensible things from my
point of view, it maximises to fill the monitor that
contains the top left corner of the window (I should mention
I don't use really use these buttons at all, because I
almost never want my windows maximised.  What I do want is
to maximise them vertically without changing the width, and
I have fvwm programmed to do that with its equivalent
buttons.  But that's waiting for when full screen gets a bit
more work on it...)

I did just notice there is a slightly odd effect if I try to
move a window to the very top of the secondary monitor
(which is to the right of the primary in my case, and
exactly the same height).  If I move the mouse to the very
top, the window gets dropped a menu bar width below the top.
But if I'm careful not to get the mouse right at the top, I
can correctly position a window right at the top.  If the
window is partly on both monitors (so part of it is going
behind the menu bar), the jumping down happens when the
window reaches the very top, regardless of whether the mouse
is at the top or not.  Not a show stopper, but something to
fix when you are next wandering around that bit of the code.

BTW, when I downloaded rc2, I noticed there is
Xquartz-1.4.2-apple26.bz2 in the available files.  Are we
supposed to be playing with this?  The one I have installed
from rc2 says it is xorg-server 1.4.2-apple25.  I did try
installing the -apple26 one, but it does very strange things
with window placement, so I rapidly uninstalled it.

cheers,
-- Viv