[Xquartz-dev] new xpbproxy

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Thu Oct 16 12:31:28 PDT 2008

Quoted Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 02:52, Peter Collinson wrote:
>
>> I cannot repeat this... it seems to work fine for me on my G4 or Intel
>> boxes.
>>
>> Either selecting a region or selecting and using with Cmd-C in xterm
>> allows me to Cmd-V it into textedit.
>> The Cmd-C is not needed.
>

> Actually, this is a bug.  We should immediately copy what is in
> PRIMARY when we do x_copy.  It doesn't make sense according to HIG to
> select some text, do edit->copy, select other text, then paste the
> second text.  That functionality is actually what the last option in
> the preferences is for, so if you really want that, enable 'Update
> pasteboard immediately when new text is selected'.

It actually seems to work that way now, but the preferences weren't
being synchronized properly, unless you restarted xpbproxy.  I've
fixed that today and committed the changes to git.

One of the preferences I don't think ever worked, due to a typo.  I
tested them all today.  There are a lot of combinations and there
could still be some bugs that I'm unaware of.  Sorry I didn't test
after you added them.

Alas, each preference multiplies the test runs by 2 for a release
cycle.  The more configurable software is, the more you have to test
the various states that it can get into, and the interaction of the
various states.

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/