[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple20

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Oct 24 10:56:10 PDT 2008

>> When I highlight text in xterm, the text is copied to the
>> clipboard, but the highlight immediately turns off (as soon as I
>> release the mouse button).  That is not how X in the same xterm
>> version (237) on my Xandros system works.  I missed most of last
>> week's discussions; perhaps this was discussed.
>
> I don't see that happening... hmm =/
>
> I thought this might happen once we got the proxy-immediately stuff
> working (and not just when we enter/leave X11.app) ... but I don't
> think that's done yet.

Oh, wait... I see what you mean... you don't mean immediately.  You
mean:

select text in xterm.
leave X11.app
return to X11.app to see the selection disappear.

This is because leaving X11.app causes xpbproxy to update
NSPasteboard.  Then on returning to X11.app, xpbproxy notices the
pasteboard was updated and proxies that to CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY.

I was expecting this to happen, but didn't plan on dealing with it
until we had the "proxy immediately rather than on activate/
deactivate" work done...  We basically have a cycle here that needs a
break: if I was the one to cause the PB/CB/PRIMARY update, then don't
___.