[Xquartz-dev] X11 2.3.1 and pgplot not redrawing

Jamie Kennea jamie at pompey.org
Thu Sep 18 13:46:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have found an issue with X11 2.3.1 and the pgplot graphing library,
which is commonly used by Astronomers. The issue I have is the
following, utilizing the "qdp" (Quick and Dirty Plotter) tool as an
example.

Launching qdp with a sample file works fine.

qdp test.qdp
  To produce plot, please enter
PGPLOT file/type: /xs

I get a line plot as I would expected (test.qdp consists of 2 columns
of numbers). Now when I try to modify the plot on the qdp command line
by, for example the command "ma on" (switch from light to point
plotting), nothing happens. In fact all changes to I attempt to make
to the plot make no difference, the plot in the X11 window remains
static.

If I use the "hardcopy" command to create a postscript version of the
plot however, the PS version has all the changes applied.

I believe that something in X11 2.3.1 has stopped the X11 PGPLOT
window from being refreshed/replotted. As far as I know this problem
has been introduced somewhere between 2.3.1rc5 and 2.3.1.

I've confirmed this behaviour on 2 machines running 2.3.1, including
running pgplot from a linux box to a Mac via ssh forwarding, to the
same effect.

I'll submit a bug.

Thanks,

Jamie