[Xquartz-dev] molmol vs Lion

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Aug 15 16:24:03 PDT 2011

Maybe something pertaining to the switch to libxcb rather than
xtrans for libX11... ? There's not much to go on here. While I don't
doubt that you are seeing this behavior due to changes in XQuartz or the
libraries, I have many doubts that the issue is a bug in XQuartz or the
libraries. It's much more likely that the bug is in molmol itself if
simply changing stdin fixes the behavior.

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>> Then that is certainly not a bug in X11.
Please report this to the molmol developers.

> Jeremy,
> This really
looks like an Xquartz bug rather than an issue with molmol itself. I did
a test build
> of molmol of under x86_64 Fedora 15 and it doesn't have
any problems executing...

> $MOLMOLHOME/molmol.$arch $xopt <
/dev/null

> under libX11-devel-1.4.3, xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.10.3,
etc. The build of molmol under linux is
> pretty much identical to that
under darwin.
> Jack
> ps The fact that this issue occurs on Lion when
running molomol from a fink /sw tree built under
> SL (as well as fresh
bootstrap of fink or macports under Lion) suggests that the problem is
in

Jack Howarth wrote:

>>> Does anyone understand what has changed in
the Xquartz (now in Lion as X11) which causes molmol to not display its
widgets or menus? The issue seems to be that the use of "< /dev/null" in
the molmol startup script... if [ "$input" = "-" -o -n "$nograph" ];
then echo "LineBond solid 1 " >>| $startmacro ;
@PREFIX@/share/molmol/src/main/molmol $xopt else echo "LineBond solid 1
" >>| $startmacro ; @PREFIX@/share/molmol/src/main/molmol $xopt <
/dev/null fi is no longer tolerated under X11 in 10.7. Only if remove
the use of "< /dev/null" does molmol run normally. Jack

Links:
------
[1] mailto:Xquartz-dev at lists.macosforge.org
[2]